Sunday 15 August 2010

Sox on the Beach

Casting on...

At the moment all of my knitting is being done in Oban (Scotland). I have been away since Sunday and have loved every moment of the sun and sea and heat! I was always told Scotland was a very rainy place. It has rained but I was of the opinion that is was never ever sunny and this is why we never holidayed there. I have a tan! You can't tell me Scotland is a rainy place and then have me get a tan!

Yesterday was a beach day. I spent most of it on sand. I - unlike the very shrieky teenage girls just down from us - was not under the misconception that the sea would be hot. Or even warm... It seemed to take them a long time to realise the water was cold too, as for the entire twenty minutes they were in there they kept screaming "It's so cold!" at regular intervals...

While they caught a cold I set out to finish my first holiday sock! This sock is a very special sock for four reasons. First, it's the first sock that I have ever knit for myself. Second, it's knit with a new pattern so rather than a plain leg and foot it's ribbed. Third, it's a holiday knit. and fourth, it's the first sock that I've knit for me! (I know I said it twice but it's that important to me...)


After I finished the sock (this I must admit shocked me as I thought it would take much longer) I set to work on the second birthday sock for S. I had almost finished it and planned on getting it done before I leave on Tuesday and guess what!! I did! I finished it last night AND successfully grafted the toe as well! I'm very proud of myself. So I got to start my second holiday sock this afternoon, I'm not expecting to finish it before Tuesday (Although knitting gods if you're reading this and want to give me the magic power of speed knitting I won't object!) As long as it's done for my first day back to work I'll be happy!


Also today I found out that finished socks keep the sun off your head very well. Although worn on your head they they are also very good at keeping your holiday party away too...

Casting off...

No comments: